I found Atwood Vacation Rentals online, selected a beachside condo with a pool available, and we braved a new vacation spot, Edisto Island, Sc. I can be pretty
Luckily the condo was everything pictured, there were no surprises there, and we headed to the beach our first evening and had a great time. We ate out that first night at a local seafood restaurant and afterwards found a Bi-Lo for our breakfast/lunch groceries.
The next morning we took a walk in our pj’s to check out the amenities offered and found a great playground for the kids, right next to the pool.
Our neighborhood at home doesn’t have a pool so our kids hardly ever get to swim in one and they were all pretty excited about practicing what they learned in swim lessons. I went to the front office to ask about our pool pass while Heath stayed at the playground with the kids. I was SHOCKED when they told me the pool wasn’t included with our condo rental- and at a fee of $14 per person, per day, we could buy one. My pregnant hormones totally got the best of me and I became really upset. I had told the kids we could swim, we had brought our beach and pool gear, I had already paid extra for sheets to sleep on, and now you’re gonna tell me it’ll cost me $56/day to take my family to the friggin’ pool? Who charges to use a condo pool? The lady there didn’t care either, she was very, “that’s the rules and the way the condo owners handle the pool expense.” Awesome. Thank you, cheap condo owners. It wasn’t a very nice way to start the week, and so I just determined we’d have a great time at the beach all week, for free. Unfortunately, the weather had a different idea in mind.
We did find an ice cream parlor the second night we were there, and that helped brighten things up a bit.
On the next rainy day we decided to drive and find something to do. There were no malls, and we looked at two souvenir shops, and found one of those brochures with activities listed. There was 1 museum, 1 plantation, and a nature trail. The museum was closed, the whole road to the plantation was closed, and we couldn't walk a trail in the rain. I asked Heath just to drive and see what we found. So we drove, and drove, and drove, and it was all nothingness. It was way too out there for me- I need to see a Target, or Cracker Barrel, or I would have even been happy with Wal-Mart if only there was something to look at.
Needless to
say, we left earlier than anticipated. It just wasn’t worth sitting in a small
condo every day, while it poured outside, with nowhere to really go. With no mall, Starbucks, wifi, or cable, combined with the extra rental fees and weather, Heath and I were done.
Luckily, I think the boys would say they had a great time. They didn't seem to mind the beaches, or that it rained, they enjoyed the movie marathon, and they didn't ask about the pool since it rained so much. I’m not
really sure if we’ll vacation next year with a baby, but if we decide to- it’ll
definitely be back to Destin for us!



















No comments:
Post a Comment