Our Family of Five

Our Family of Five

Tuesday, October 14, 2014

For the love of Football

I'm starting to love football season- never thought I'd say that! I never knew how much I'd enjoy watching my baby play sports, but I do. Cory started out with T-ball for a few years, tried soccer (once!), and then started football at age seven. You could see right off the bat his love for that game, and that's why I love watching him. It's so fun to watch your child do something they love, and watch them practice at it in the backyard, and listen intently to their coach because they want to learn & improve- love, love, love!

We didn't have an awesome experience with the Rec Dept, so we found Galilee Christian Church & they offered Upward Sports. I had never heard of it before, but loved the more laidback approach towards team sports and am very happy we found Upward. Practices are once a week, games are home every Saturday, and the teams are usually 6-8 kids- very small. Upward doesn't assign each player a position either (or they might at a later age), but all the kids rotate throughout the game. So every child gets their chance to be a quarterback, which of course is a big thing to them. It's flag football, not tackle, and they earn stars on their belts for things like good sportsmanship, effort, Scripture memorization, etc. We really, really love it, and I hope we can keep Cory in it until he starts playing for the school.

Game Day! (19 weeks preg)

I was mean and told Easton he couldn't throw dirt, sigh.
 
My favorite player, #7.
 





The picture above is Cory and his friend, Parks. Parks is so, so good already! It's really cool to see that in a kid so early, but it just seems effortless to him. Last year Cory played against Parks, and he was so excited to have Parks on his team this year! He said, "We'll win every game!" They did have a great game last Saturday.
 
 

 
There he is in the back running a touchdown! I told him he needs to give me a warning before he does that so I can video tape it. He was like, "Mom....I don't know when I'm going to do that. Just know it'll happen." Ha! He's funny, he'll say things before the game starts like, "I'm gonna go for 2 touchdowns today," or "I think I'll try for an interception today," and then does it every time. I don't know if he's getting lucky or what, but like I said, it's so cool to watch his brains work out there. I guess I'd better love it, seeing as how I have 2 more boys coming up!
 
I hope he stays with football, but we're proud of him no matter what he chooses. As long as he's happy, Mama's happy too! 


No comments:

Post a Comment