Our Family of Five

Our Family of Five

Sunday, December 2, 2012

But....what are you eating?

Bah, I am too excited about this weeks post! Ok, let me start the beginning so I don't get ahead of myself.

Monday-Day 1

I have a 7:30am lab class on Monday morning and I was SUPER nervous about starting the cleanse, and then having to sit in lab. It says "easy and uneventful," but the last thing I needed was an event going on during my lab quiz. I was so thankful to find out that true to its word, it was completely uneventful- no rolling of the stomach, no gas (I know, sorry, but you were wondering) and no running to the bathroom all day. In fact, by Day 2 it was so uneventful that I contacted my advisor and asked if that was okay. I mean, a cleanse is a cleanse, right? By Day 3, I just knew that something was wrong. I was eating my meals and my snacks as planned and wasn't feeling hungry. I just knew that my body would be the body it didn't work on. I was so used to feeling tired, weak, shaky and starving during my "regular" diets that I didn't see any weight loss with this. I called my advisor again (sorry Danielle!) and she assured me again that I should NOT be hungry, and to keep drinking tons of water. I kept thinking, this is the weirdest diet I've ever been on. (First mistake!)

Day 4

I woke up and knew something was different but couldn't place my finger on it. I drove to class and noticed even the drive there looked different. I sat down in class and- this sounds crazy, but bear with me- even the white board looked different. Clearer, somehow. I tried to remember if I had put in new contacts and then I started wondering if my vision was just clearing up on its own and then it hit me- I had energy! Not the crazy jittery, caffeine feeling, but just this foreign awake feeling that morning and I was so used to not knowing what that was that I couldn't even recognize it. Day 5- I woke up and felt AMAZING. Never have I been a morning person, in fact, I have a general rule to not speak to me right away in the mornings- you can ask my hubby about that. He's the morning person, I'm not morning or night, but just generally tired all day, ha! To wake up with this feeling of alertness was unreal! I spoke to my husband that morning, I listened to music in my car- that's a HUGE deal for me- normally I'm so tired that I just ride in silence or talk radio in the morning, definitely no loud sounds of any kind. The biggest realization I had this week was when Cory got off the bus at 3, and I had the energy to match his for the rest of the evening. The Mommy guilt set in as I thought back over his requests to play football with me, or ride around the neighborhood with me, all of which I just didn't have the energy for. This week we did something active everyday outside and it was a GREAT feeling, especially seeing his little face light up when I finally said "yes" to the football request.





Day 6- The hubs had been out of town two days with work and came home. He saw me step out of the shower in a towel and told me I looked thinner. In a towel!! Not something form fitting- how could he tell from my shoulders and knee's down? Ha, you know I jumped on the scale and THIS is why I am so excited. Somehow this first week, I have gotten below my plateau weight- the weight that I can only hit when I'm sick and feel like death, or eating only carrots. I swore I would not reveal weight/inches/results until Day 24 so I can't share yet, but I am SO excited to!!!

What we ate for dinner:

Told you I wasn't starving and I am not kidding. It was the complete opposite-I ate so often that I generally wasn't even hungry for my snack. Here was the hubs fav this week:



Salmon with brown rice and roasted asparagus-it was delish! He actually said this was his favorite meal of the week-keep in mind this came after Thanksgiving. The salmon was on sale that week for $5/pound and fed my whole family.

Here was my favorite meal of the week:



Whole wheat pasta, with roasted brocolli, zucchini, chickpeas and tomatoes all tossed in EVOO! The pasta was $1.29/box.

What about my kids? They ate everything we did. This is always how it is at my house- no buffet lines! One night, Easton chose 1000 Island dressing as his main course and that was fine, but when he came back later wanting more, his dinner was reheated and he ate it. For Cory's lunch I packed deli meat/cheese or tuna pinwheels, some sort of veggie sticks with dip, fruit of any kind, and pretzels or Goldfish or yogurt. I need some good suggestions for drinks for him! If I pack anything prepackaged, it's not enough for him, but I hate to put a whole bottle of something in there because then that just weighs it down. Any suggestions???


Favorite Moments

Loved getting to talk to all of my girlfriends every morning and complaining about that fiber drink! Tracy (yes, I'm totally calling you out) didn't watch the video of "How to and How NOT to" drink your fiber drink, and did everything completely backwards and told me she gagged 3-4 times and thought she couldn't finish it. Once we figured out why, I burst out laughing and she had a much better day on Day 2! Poor Cassie was sick and couldn't start on Monday with us, but she did start later in the week and I loved getting her 6:30 am texts too!  It was somehow easier getting through the first few days knowing those girls were doing the same thing I was.
PS-Tracy did weigh in today and lost FOUR pounds and ONE inch from her waist alone all in the first 6 days-incredible!!!

My Weakness

Y'all.....I have a serious sweet tooth. I can eat healthy all day long, but I realized on Day 2 that cutting out sweets completely ain't gonna happen. The chocolate meal replacement shakes are heaven in a cup, but those don't start until Day 11. I made an emergency Kroger run and stocked up on different chocolate flavors of organic Lara bars. The first one I didn't even wait to get home to enjoy- I ate that bad boy in the parking lot. Yummmmmm!!! I think that's the hardest thing to overcome about changing your eating habits: if you feel hungry or deprived, you won't stick to it. Start with small changes, prepare meals ahead of time and find healthy foods you enjoy- they are out there! Here is where you can check out those meal replacement shakes.

I am loving the way I feel! I cannot believe I have this much energy and still get to eat. I about fell out when I saw I had lost weight from eating this often AND still get to keep my chocolate. I know there are other Mom's reading this and thinking of reasons why they can't start- the cost, the food, fear of the unknown? I'm not sure what your reason is, but I would love for you to reach out and tell me your reason. You can message me if you'd rather not leave a public comment. I would love to try and help in any way I can!



























1 comment: