Our Family of Five

Our Family of Five

Friday, September 27, 2013

The Interview

I was SO excited about the BIG interview day. I had tons of friends texting me the night before and morning of, and a lot of people had called a few days beforehand to wish me luck, and I just felt so happy that whole week to be surrounded by such supportive people. I had one really bad day where the nerves/anxiety got to me, but luckily that passed. The days leading up to the interview people kept asking me if I was nervous and I was happy to say that I was not. The night before I didn't have any of the usual jitters either, it was pure excitement. I've waited over a year for fifteen minutes, and I was NOT going to freak out and blow anything. I stayed prayed up! I don't know how much "extra" time I spent in the Bible that week, but I know anytime I started to think negatively, I would try to stop & catch myself and think of scripture to help boost me back up. It was a praying week!



 
 
 
 
You know how the night before, you always want to get everything ready? Well I wanted to go into that mode except I had nothing to do. My application had everything they needed, and I didn't need to remember to bring anything with me. I didn't need directions either, because duh, it was at school.
 
That morning I woke up happy and ready to go! I still didn't have too much downtime to freak out, and figured that would happen while I was driving. I got Cory ready for school, got myself ready, got Easton ready for the sitter (LOVE Ms. Karol), and ate breakfast on the way (thanks Advocare!). I didn't even call Heath on the drive there, I just listened to praise music and kept praying the whole way. I had to get my mind right. It always amazes me how calm that makes me. If I keep focusing on Him, and how far He's gotten me, I just know He has big plans for me. They may not include this program, but I know I'm not forgotten about, and I needed to have that quiet time before my interview.
 
I walked in to find where I was supposed to sit and must have looked lost, because another student asked me if I was looking to interview for the DMS program. She had passed by the posted signs and pointed me in the right direction, then wished me good luck. That was a total God thing too. I love when my eyes are open to see His work in my details.
 
I sat down to wait- and who knows how long that was?- and then they called my name. Still, no jitters, just excitement. I felt everyone's prayers that day and I am so appreciative for all of them!! The program chair and her assistant were sitting at a board table and they told me to have a seat in front of them. I was super glad I had done some volunteer hours in their classroom previously so I didn't feel like they were total strangers. I signed a few papers, they introduced themselves and then told me they only had 12 questions for me and we got started. I made sure to slow down, listen to their questions and not ramble on. It was the easiest interview, I felt like we were just talking. First question: why do you want to be here? Easy! Y'all know my story, and I finally got to have the opportunity to tell them. (In case you missed it, click here!)
 
The time flew. They asked me things like how supportive my family was (super!), and what would be a reason for me to drop out (death of husband/kids), my greatest academic achievements (being in that pool of applicants!), my strengths (I'm awesome), my biggest regret (not trying this earlier, being afraid of failure), and so on. Both women gave me good body language feedback and when my eyes watered when I was sharing my story, theirs did too. They told me that they could see it in my face how sincere I was about this, and told me I should be very proud. They asked to take my picture (said they did that with everyone?) and thanked me for coming. I was in there 27 minutes, over the allotted 15 minutes. I know God pulled through for me. I know He was there for every minute. I know He has written my future, and I know He's gotten me this far. I want to give him all the glory for what He's given me, this journey's been amazing!
 
I have no idea how long it'll take them to send out those accepted/denied letters. I know we leave tomorrow to go to the beach-yay!- and am relieved that I won't be sitting at home watching for the mailman. Just a few more days and then I'll know!!! It's actually kind of amazing, think about it: I have no idea what will happen in a week. God does. He already knows if I'll get in or not. Isn't His sovereignty mind-boggling?
 
 
 
 
 


2 comments: